Indian Railways’ Central Railway zone is all set to introduce its first AC local train today. The train will be flagged off from platform number 18 of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus, Mumbai.
After the introduction of AC local train by the Western Railway zone, this will be the first time that the Central Railway will also run a AC local train on its suburban services.
The people of Mumbai and its nearby areas can now travel in this train which comes with a host of modern features. The AC local train will run on Thane – Vashi-Panvel Trans-Harbour line with daily 16 services.
The inaugural run will be flagged off by Suresh Angadi, Minister of State for Railways.
The inaugural special will run from Panvel at around 03.30pm on open path and timings towards Thane.
The return journey from Thane station to Panvel will also run on open path and timings. The regular services of AC local will start from 31 January.
Salient Features of AC local train
• Air conditioning system for passenger & driver. 2 X 15 ton capacity roof mounted package units (RMPU) for air conditioning in each coach.
• Air Spring Suspension: For excellent ride comfort and to sustain Super Dense Crush Loads of Suburban traffic, the EMU rake is provided with secondary air suspension with two air bellows, provided on each bogie.
• Passenger Address & Passenger Information system (PAPIS) : It is a GPS based information system for passenger with intercom facility. Through this system, facility of passenger information, driver-guard communication through intercom, driver/guard to passenger communication through ETU, train radio.
- In coach display in each coach: There are two sided display and two double sided display in each coach.
• Head code display: LED based Head Code display in ENGLISH & HINDI with handicap and ladies coach position is provided in front of both driving trailer coaches.
• LED Based Coach identification system for Alarm chain pulling & Door malfunctioning.
• Ergonomically designed stainless steel passenger seats.
• Wide and large double-glass sealed windows to offer panoramic view outside.
• Vestibule design: Air tight gangways (Vestibules) in all trailer coaches and through vestibule available for 6 coaches each.
• LED based lighting for better illumination and energy conservation.
• Spacious and robust stainless coaches with straight side walls.
• Aluminum extruded modular luggage racks with poly carbonate transparent glass at bottom.
- Aerodynamic nose cone driving cab.
Safety features of AC local train for passengers
• Electrically operated Automatic Door closure system: Traction is interlocked with door closure. In case of any of the doors in the rake is not getting closed, traction is blocked by TCMS.
• Passenger Alarm System: In case of ACP, emergency bell work in both driving cab. Each coach is provided with an indication light on both sides of the coach. These lights are integrated with Alarm chain pulling system. Whenever chain pulling takes place in coaches these lights will glow giving an exact indication to the platform staff for attending emergency.
• Emergency Talk Back (ETU) is a part of PAPIS, provided for communication between passenger, Guard and Motorman in emergency.
In case when the train is standstill, there is also a manual door opening system in each coach that can be accessed.
The local AC train is the fifth to run on Mumbai’s suburban services, with the other four being run by the Western Railway (WR) zone of Indian railways.