Doubling, 3rd lines, Gauge Conversion Projects –
Southern Railway has been working steadily for the expansion of its network in order to achieve better mobilization as well to carry more freight traffic.
With this aim the following works were completed in the year 2021-
- Gauge conversion work was completed for 58 Kms in Madurai – Usilampatti – Andipatti section.
- 3rd line work was completed for 30 Kms in Tambaram – Chengalpattu section.
- A total of 183 Kms doubling works have been completed on the following sections – Mecheri road – Omalur (13 Kms), Tambaram – Chengalpattu 3rd line (30 Kms), Kovilpatti – Kadambur (23 Kms),Tirumangalam – Tulukapatti (41 Kms), Tattaparai – Milavittan doubling (7.47 Kms), Ambalapuzha – Harippad(18.13 Kms), Netravati – Mangalore Central (1.69 Km),Kovilpatti- Kadambur (23 Kms), Tirumangalam – Tulukapatti (41 Kms), Gangaikondan – Tirunelveli (14.5 Kms).
The Southern Railway implementing several electrification projects at a fast pace to meet the Indian Railways’ objective to electrify 100% of its network by December 2023.
- A Total 310 Rkm Electrification works have been completed in 2021 on the following sections -Mangalore – Panambur (22 RKM, Virudhachalam- Cudadore port (55.48 Rkm),Nidamangalam – Mannargudi (13.98 Rkm), Pollachi – Podanur (38Kms), Madurai
– Manamadurai (46Kms) andSalem – Vridhachalam (135 Rkm).
- The safety performance Southern Railway’s in 2021 showed a marked improvement.
2021 There was no consequential or indicative train accident.
- 40 LCs were eliminated and 60 Nos. of LCs have been interlocked in the year 2021.
- All non-interlocked LC gates in Chennai and Palakkad divisions have been eliminated.
Improvement in Mobility
- 34 PSRs are removed and 1 PSR was relaxed.
- The work of provision of Double Distant signalling in Arakonam- Renigunta section, HDN7 route was completed.
- Sectional speed raised from 100 to 110 Kmph for 137Kms, 90 to 100 Kmph for 37.62 Kms, 75 to 100 Kmph of 59 Kms and loop lines speed raised from 15 to 30 Kmph for 282 Kms.
- The substructure works of construction of 02 pile foundations and 06 pile caps has been completed in 9R ROB work in MAS division.
- 29 nos. of FOB completed and 27 nos. of Rehabilitation of bridges works are completed.
Passenger / Freight Business –
- The Southern Railway Data Centre at Moore Market Complex, Chennai that caters to the Passenger Reservation System (PRS), Unreserved Ticketing System (UTS) and the Mobile Ticketing System over Southern, South Western and South Central Railways has been revamped at a cost of Rs.14.31 Cr. The Data Centre has now been equipped with futuristic communication equipment and cutting-edge technology to enrich various ticketing services.
- Almost 100% of both Mail/Express and Suburban services operated during pre-COVID times have been restored. All the travel restrictions imposed earlier on Chennai Suburban network have also been withdrawn . Unreserved coaches are also being restored in a phased manner in popular trains.
- Passengers have been benefited by opening of Refreshment cum Integrated Kitchen Unit at MGR Chennai Central, Villupuram, Tiruchirapalli and at Virudunagar and Fast Foot Unit at Virudachalam.
- Automobile Traffic (including Road-Railer): Southern Railways witnessed the highest ever automobile loading in 2021. During the financial year Upto November ’2021, 522 automobile rakes (275 BCACBM, 224 NMG & 23 Road-Railer) were loaded which fetched revenue of Rs.118.49 Cr.
- Leased & Non-Leased VPs: Upto November’ 2021, 366 VPs were loaded which fetched revenue of Rs.6.42 Cr.
- Leased & Non-leased PCET: Upto November’ 2021, 120 round trips were operated which fetched revenue of Rs.16.39 Cr.
- Business Development Unit: BDU’s effort, Upto November’ 2021, loading of 70,00,58 tonne was achieved with main components being Carbon Black Feed Stock, Laterite, RMSP, & Automobiles were loaded which fetched revenue of Rs.67.18 Cr.
- The Originating Revenue to end of November’ 2021 has shown an increase of Rs.2404.54 Cr. (137.95%) as against previous year.
Energy Generations/Savings –
- 5×2.1 MW Windmill Plants have generated Upto Nov’ 2021 2,21,91,029 kWh.
- Crew dual Mode (Prakriti) Tower Car was developed at the Avadi work shop and commissioned on 22.12.2021. It can be operated either in “OHE” or “Battery” mode. Savings to the tune of Rs. 15 lakhs/year in monetary terms is expected .besides, reducing CO2 emission by 47,520 Kgs on account of saving of 18000 liters of diesel
- Dr. MGR Chennai Central stands testimony to our energy conservation efforts becoming the first railway station in the zone to meet 100% of its daytime energy needs by installing 1.5 MWp Solar panels on the Platform Shelters.10.5 MW capacity of wind mill plants has been erected generating 70 million units leading to a notional savings of Rs.38 Cr.
- Introduction of Dual Mode Shunting Locomotive (PASUMAI series) has eliminated the need for diesel shunting loco and has resulted in annual saving of Rs.3.66 Cr. At present, 5 nos. of dual mode locos are being utilized in Tambaram and Basin Bridge yard.
Accolades /Other Achievements-
- The first indigenously built coal fired X class steam locomotive capable of working in Nilgri Mountain Railways has been manufactured in Golden Rock workshop.
- The 1stT.No 12007/12008 MAS-MYS-MAS Shatabdi exp in SR, was certified by IMS for international standards.
- Coimbatore station of Salem division was awarded “PLATINUM” rating by IGBC under the aegis of confederation of Indian Industry CII.
- The chemical & metallurgical laboratory, material technology centre, loco works was given NABL certification for general requirements for competence of testing and calibration laboratory on 13.09.2021.
- Railway Hospital/Erode is awarded from National Energy Conservation Award-2021.
- Confederation of Indian Industry has awarded GOC Shops/SR as “EXCELLENT ENERGY EFFICIENT UNIT” for the year 2021 in Automobile & Engineering Industry Sector. This award is bagged by GOC Shops for the 2ndconsecutive year.
- 63 Railway stations out 72 Major stations nominated have achieved Consent to Operate (CTO) from respective State Pollution Control Board (SPCB) during 2021.
- Ms.P.Anitha Basket ball player has been honoured with the prestigious Padma Shri Awards this year. Athlete Ms.Revathi Veeramani also made us proud by representing the Nation in Tokyo Olympics 2021.
Covid Management –
- Of the 10,285 COVID patients treated across the Railway in various Railway hospitals & Health Units, the New COVID block of Perambur Hospital alone accounted for 4241 patients treated and recovered successfully.
- Oxygen Generators have been installed at Perambur RH. Madurai RH, Tiruchirppalli RH to meet the exigencies. Oxygen Generators have also been procured for other divisional hospitals.
- On 28.08.2021 SR inaugurated a pediatric Covid Ward at the new premises of RH/PER. Facilitated – 60 bedded houses, 8 bedded pediatric and another 8 bedded neonatal ICU units.